Archive for History

Hestercombe

Sunday was a glorious sunny day and we visited Hestercombe House and Gardens, north of Taunton with Neil’s sister Carole and our friend Liz. The Hestercombe Gardens Trust was set up in 1997 to restore these world famous garden to their full glory.  The oldest part of the house dates back to 1280. It was owned by the family of Sir John de Warre for 500 years and went through quite a transformation in that time.  After Elizabeth Warre died the estate was bought by the 1st Viscount Portman and was later lived in by the Hon Teddy Portman, his grandson.  Teddy Portman died in 1911 but his wife continued to live in the house until her death in 1951 aged 96.

DSC01742

In 1953 the newly formed Somerset Fire Brigade rented the house as its new headquarters and continued there until 2006.  In November 2013 the Hestercombe Gardens Trust acquired the freehold of the house and formal gardens and opened the house to the public in May 2014 for the first time in over 800 years.  The inside of the house has a contemporary art gallery and a 2nd hand bookshop.

DSC01743

Outside the gardens are lovely with a number of lakes and a hydro electric plant. Over one of the lakes is a steep bridge which Neil posed on.

DSC01736

With still water and beautiful sunshine the reflections in the lake were splendid.

DSC01734

The Landscape Garden was built in the 18th century and throughout the garden are various seats, each with a view like a landscape painting.

DSC01728

DSC01740

We stopped a fellow walker and asked them to take a picture of all 4 of us.

DSC01732

This is the house from the garden.

DSC01751

DSC01757

And I just loved this single water lily.

DSC01758

The Portman family commissioned Edwin Lutyens and Gertrude Jekyll to create the Edwardian Formal Garden in 1903 which took 5 years to complete.

DSC01745

DSC01748

All in all it was a great visit, with a stop for tea and cake.  Easily reached from Lodge House B&B. If you fancy a visit, come and stay with us    www.lodgehousebandbsomerset.co.uk

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Comment

Visit to Midelney Manor, Somerset

Today we visited Midelney Manor with the Combe St Nicholas History Group.  This is privately owned house, which is Grade 1 listed and was built in the late 16th Century in two distinct halves by brothers Richard & Thomas Trevillian.

DSC01481

The manor house is sited on a former island site and was the property of Mulcheney Abbey before being passed to the Trevillian family after the dissolution of the monasteries.  We were shown around by Alice who lives there with her family and is a direct descendent of the Trevillian family.

Inside the lounge was a lovely fireplace and around the walls hung pictures of the ancestors.

DSC01482

The gardens were lovely, mostly being walled with flower beds.

DSC01485

We went through a doorway in the walls,

DSC01487

to where the flower beds were full of blue cornflowers.

DSC01488

The land extended to the back where there were some handsome massive trees and a paddock.

DSC01490

At the end of the tour we were invited in for a cream tea which was much needed and well appreciated.  Midelney Manor is just half an hour’s drive from us at http://www.lodgehousebandbsomerset.co.uk.

 

Leave a Comment

The Courthouse, Chard

On Saturday the Courthouse at Chard was open for visitors as a one off for the Chard Festival. The Town Crier was out in his finery announcing what was going on.

DSC00375

The Courtroom is a very old building dating back to the 1640’s and part of a complex of ancient buildings in Chard.  This floor plan shows the age of these buildings.  We went through the first passageway on the left to the light blue building and up the stairs to the courtroom.

DSC00366

This is an outside view.

DSC00357

We went through the door way and past a really old door.

DSC00360

then up the stairs and into the courtroom.

The windows were mullioned and had leaded glass, which was not original but had been replaced as part of a restoration.

DSC00365

The most striking aspect of the courtroom are the plaster murals and decorative ceiling.

DSC00361

The murals on the end of the wall where the judge would be seated all had meanings which people of the time would have fully understood.

There was the judgement of Solomon.

DSC00372

And David in the lions den.

DSC00374

meaning that if you innocent then no harm will befall you.

It is said that the infamous Judge Jefferys known as the “Hanging Judge” presided here in 1685 and Taunton as part of the “Bloody Assizes” after the failure of the Monmouth rebellion.

The mural on the far end of the room represents a Phoenix rising from the ashes, which symbolises Chard rising again from the large fire of 1577 which destroyed a large part of the town.

Certainly an interesting visit and good to learn a little of the history of our nearest town.

visit us at

http://www.lodgehousebandbsomerset.co.uk

Comments (2)